Daphne odora 'Marriani'. I've been waiting two years for this to flower and now it's living up to expectations. I've planted it on a corner of two paths, where I pass often, and the intoxicating scent lingers around the area. I asked MrC if he'd noticed it but he hadn't...
Looking around to see what might go with it, I found this little collection. The Daphne is almost lost in here but of course, the scent wafts around wherever I place my little jug.
I've included Hellebores, Penstemon foliage, a few Tete a Tete, an amazing little Pieris flower and some Laurel flowers. I thought I'd try them for something different.
As we all strive to keep Hellebore flowers alive in vases, against their will, this week I've learnt a new idea. Several people have reported scoring a vertical line down two sides of the stem before soaking in deep water. Using a scalpel. I don't know if it will work but it's worth a try or perhaps we should accept their beauty is fleeting and cannot be preserved. They do last better if cut later when the seed pods are forming.
As you can see the sun is shining. We've had an amazing few days of weather, coats were discarded and it felt like spring. I'm not saying this weather is right but we have enjoyed it. We've had warm daytime temperatures and often frosts at night.
This is the first week I've noticed plants actively growing. Little seedlings which have been sitting in pots all winter are suddenly putting on growth and tiny leaves are showing on shrubs.
We got stuck into several projects one of which include digging up nettles. It was strangely satisfying as the roots are so shallow. The longest one I pulled was as tall as me, that's not hard, but impressive anyway. I hope I've got rid of the worst ones. We've now covered the area with cardboard for now and it will become my new dahlia bed in time for the late May plant out.
Lots to look forward too.